Wednesday, January 25, 2012

60 Second Shot

Doing a video that is only 60 seconds can be easy, but also have its challenges. As an artist you want to convey your intent or message in a short amount of time. Composition was really important when planning my 60 second shot. An interesting composition can make a world of difference in a video so short.
Doing this project, I learned that the camera's quality really does effect how the video looks. I used my phone for this project, when didn't allow for a nice steady shot since I wasn't able to use a tripod. The camera also learned that the camera can really change the color from what it is like in real life, which is what I experienced when filming this video.
During the critique in class I learned more about narrative in videos. I always thought of narratives as a dialogue and so much in terms of a beginning, middle, or end and how the mixture or lack there of can effect the video. With Meghan's video, we come into it right in the middle, and the piece stops before there is an end or any kind of resolution. This makes the viewer question and try to analyze the whole story since we are not given all the information.
Another thing I really paid attention to and learned more about was the space that exists out the camera lens and the scene. It can really make the viewer question the ambiguous space and what exists in it. Are there more people? What is out there that we can't see.

5 comments:

  1. Yea the space out side the view of the camera lens i learned that it is very important. Sometimes it works in your favor and other times it could hurt the video. In a lot of videos we watched in class they worked cropping the image a certain way. Because it maid the viewers want to learn more. Also in most of the videos it made it look visually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that it is important to have a message. However, the audience does not always have to understand what the message is. I believe in having the audience question my work's meaning. It's important to not always shovel the message in words to the audience. I find it to be a frustrating process, but not all artists are going to see things in the same light.

      Delete
  2. Using my phone for the project probably changed the perception of the image. Whether it was good for my footage or not I wish I would've used a actually camera. Doesn't mean I needed to make it stationary but it could've had better quality to the image overall. I've always had an urge to have extra space in photos or videos because it always make me curious as to why that space was left there. The idea of your imagination being able to explore that space and question the reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The camera's quality wasn't really anything I thought about before when shooting. I'm slightly surprised at how much it can change the effect of the video. I agree with what you said about the space that exists out the camera lens and the scene; especially when it is a close shot. There is always more to the story, just because we can't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't affect the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the usage of a cellphone for a video project can have its uses if your going for a look. a high quality camera and lenses will give you a high quality look that isn't always the goal. i'm rather hoping to get a project assignment where i can use that as apart of the composition.

    another thing, the color distortion of a cellphone could be used as a play on things, you could shot the same thing on both a cellphone and a regular video camera and then juxtapose the two videos showing the differences. just an idea someone can use in a future video.

    ReplyDelete